This is going to be voted on by the Senate tomorrow (http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jul/09071505.html.
Take a moment to call and email your Senators and watch the status of the bill (and others) at http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s909/show.
From AFA- The Hate Crimes legislation would authorize the Department of Justice to investigate and prosecute certain bias-motivated crimes based on the victim's actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability. Even more troubling is that S.909 could create special protections for pedophiles. Democrats voted down an amendment to the bill that would have excluded pedophilia and other "sexual orientations" from the definition of "sexual orientation." For years, AFA and other pro-family groups have issued warnings about federal Hate Crimes legislation. The reality is that the purpose of this bill is to silence those who speak out against homosexuality. If the legislation passes, pastors could be prosecuted under the federal inducement statute for preaching the biblical view of homosexuality. For example, a person could commit an act of violence against a homosexual individual and blame it on the pastor's sermon. Similar laws have been used to prosecute religious speech in the U.S. at the state level and abroad.
Senator Leahy Announces Intent To Introduce Hate Crimes Amendment To DOD Authorization Bill – And that bill is scheduled for a Senate floor vote Wednesday, July 15 2009 – that's TODAY!
Read this press release now: http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200907/071309b.html
Here's the Senate floor schedule (see right sidebar referencing S.1390 "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010"): http://www.senate.gov/
We can't confirm the amendment anywhere on the bill… but Senator Leahy's intent is clear. Even liberal websites are all abuzz about getting this passed quickly and quietly, see here (caution, very liberal website): http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/7/14/753383/-Take-90-Seconds-and-FIGHT-HATE-NOW.-
Even though CCM can't confirm this as an official amendment, we must take no chances and act now to stop Hate Crimes legislation from passing…
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO STOP THIS?
1) Stop what you're doing… and email, phone and/or fax all Senators now. Tell them NO Hate Crimes Legislation!
2) Go here to find your US Senate contact information: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
3) Forward this alert to all your friends, family, neighbors and encourage them to do likewise.. now!
As a reminder, here is some summary information about the Hate Crimes bill, compiled from Janet Porter of WorldNet Daily:
- It criminalizes speech against groups already identified.
- It adds sexual orientation to the list.
- Pastors could be charged with inciting a hate crime for sermon content.
- Individuals could be charged with inciting a hate crime for resisting the actions or advances of a homosexual/lesbian.
- It would criminalize Christianity by turning those who disagree with homosexual agenda into felons.
- It would elevate pedophiles as a special protected class, since the term "sexual orientation" includes them in the American Psychiatric Association's definition of various sexual orientations.
- Denies freedom of speech and constitutes thought control as we're denied the right to express opinions without risking fines or arrest.
- Would deny us 14th Amendment right of equal protection under the law.
- Would identify a special "preferred" class of victim with more rights than the average citizen would have as victim of similar crime.
- Federal funds would be proffered to local law enforcement encouraging them to prosecute crimes against this preferred class.
SAMPLE LETTER – Use the following letter as a template and personalize it, or write your own.
Vote NO on any Hate Crimes Legislation.
(1) Hate Crimes legislation is unconstitutional. The 14th Amendment requires that all citizens be given equal treatment under the law. Hate crimes laws create special classes of victims and do not treat all victims fairly.
(2) Hate Crimes legislation could ultimately lead to prosecution for thoughts and restrictions on free speech and religious liberty. Although it prosecutes only "acts of violence" and does not prosecute expressions or opinions, it opens the door to examining the thoughts of not only a criminal, but everyone with whom he may have come into contact. This bill could be used to advance the politically correct agenda by providing greater protections for certain classes of people. Future legislation could expand these protections and place restrictions on religious liberty and free speech.
(3) Hate Crimes are unnecessary. Many states already have a hate crimes law and there is no evidence that the states are failing to prosecute hate crimes. States which do not have hate crimes laws still prosecute the crimes under existing criminal laws. A federal hate crimes bill would only increase the control and scope of the federal government.
(4) All crimes are hate crimes!
Vote NO on any and all Hate Crimes legislation!
-City State Zip-
- Email/Phone -
This alert provided by Coalition for a Conservative Majority, Colorado Springs. To be added to our alert list, go here: www.ccm-cos.com
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and write "un-subscribe" in the subject line.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
--William J. H. Boetcker in 1916
Colorado Springs Tea Party Team
To order my JUST RELEASED poetry book (Layers) please visit www.BuyStacysBooks.com