www.BreakdownofAmerica.com


ShoutMix chat widget

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

*Tuition help for illegal immigrants???

"A bill currently being considered by the Legislature would provide in-state tuition at our public colleges and university to individuals who are in the United States illegally. That is wrong. Because a family breaks the law, that should not entitle them to a taxpayer subsidy. Enactment of this legislation would encourage more illegal immigration and send the wrong message to those immigrants who played by the rules. Governor Romney vetoed a similar provision last June, and he is prepared to do so again.

For the University of Massachusetts, the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition is about $9,000. If, as some claim, there are 400 illegal immigrants who would attend UMass if this bill became law, the cost to the taxpayers would be $14.4 million over four years. This is money that would be better spent helping our legal immigrant community acquire the English skills they need to be productive members of our workforce. The waiting list is long for people trying to get into English as a second language classes. Clearing that waiting list has been a priority of the Romney-Healey administration."

-http://www.boston.com
/news/education/higher/articles/2005/11/08
/an_unfair_reward_for_illegal_immigrants/

I am asking myself why would we want to reward people for doing wrong? They are in this country ILLEGALLY! Why would they bother trying to go about it the legal way when they get treated better doing it illegally. Most people don't think it affects them...when in reality....it does. Where do you think our tax dollars go? The government is supposedly spending all this money on protecting our borders but if they happen to get in the country instead of sending them back we reward them with financial help, credit cards with no SSN, allowing them to register to vote, and all other sorts of treatments that LEGAL American citizens are denied!

I do not want this bill to be passed and welcome any suggestions on how we can make sure that doesn't happen.

I was thinking maybe writing our representatives and letting them know how we feel. Share your thoughts. Agree....Disagree...it doesn't matter to me...just as long as we care enough to know whats going on and how we can be apart of our future. The choices made now...create our future.

2 comments:

Kevin G. said...

Great first post, Stachy! Can't wait to see what you got coming up!

Unknown said...

I really liked reading this. I think I have told you before that I am completely ignorant as to what is going on in the world. I don't watch tv, or read the paper, or listen to the radio. So, the only way in which I know things is through the people around me. It makes me stop and think... I may not feel as though things have a huge impact on my day to day life as they are now, but what if there were not people out like you out there; people who are aware, care, and try to make a difference? What if EVERYONE were to take my ill-educated, apathetic stance on politics and world issues? Hmmm... I have a feeling that i would then feel the true weight of said issues! Thank you, Stac for caring enough to educate!!!

I am going to think on the topic and get back to you with my opinion!!